Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Papahana Kuaola

This week has only begun and my team and I have been working so hard! We are working at Papahana Kuaola in Kane'ohe this week. The native plants we've been working with are pu'uka'a, kahili, 'uala, kalo, akia, and 'uki'uki. We've also been clearing the invasive hau bush, ginger, and other grasses and plants.


In the lo'i, clearing out all the weeds so that new kalo can be planted.  I love my hat, it keeps the mosquitos away!  :)



Why am I so clean?  I rinsed in the stream water!


This is the stone they found when they were restoring this site.  The ancient Hawaiians put this stone here.  It represents Kane, the god of agriculture, and stands at the entrance to the lo'i.


I learned another native plant today!  This is akia, and it has poisonous berries!

1 comment: