Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mt. Ka'ala

I just went to upload the pictures from my camera and I can't!  :(  There's so many good pictures from Kaho'olawe!  I just realized that I don't have the USB connector to get them off my camera and onto my computer!  I think Ryan has it...I'll have to pick it up today.

In the meantime, here is the view from the top of Mt. Ka'ala, the highest point on O'ahu!


This environment is called a bog, because it's always super moist.  There are a lot of mosses and plants that can tolerate wet environments.  It was beautiful!  And the coolest thing about that area is that 95% of the bog is native Hawaiian species!  Did you know there's this one light green moss that is invasive to O'ahu, but native to the Big Island?  I had no idea a native Hawaiian species could be invasive to an area in Hawaii!

1 comment: